- This event has passed.
Introduction to Fly Fishing for Women – Sold Out!
June 9 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$50
Introduction: Fly fishing is a sport that grows with you – it can be approached as simple and basic or as complex and challenging as you want it to be. You really don’t have to cast 75 feet and know the Latin name of every aquatic critter to be good at it and have a great time. Warning: Can be addictive; but, it is less expensive than golf!
What will be covered?
Fly Fishing Fundamentals – Know your Equipment
Introduction to the Cast
- The grip and stance
- No slack
- Speed up and stop to create bend (load rod)
- Straight Line Path of the rod tip
- The line will unroll in the direction that the rod tip stops
- Demo cast tight loops vs open loops vs no loop
- Tip down – no slack
- The pick-up & lay down practice
- Side-arm cast practice & fishing use
Dealing with the heat, cold and lack of amenities
Waders are not a fashion statement!
- Breathable Waders & Boots that fit!
- Vibram soles or Felt soles
- Didymo (aka Rock Snot) invasive species!
- Fishing vest, waist pack, sling or lanyard
- Fly box, nippers, forceps, flotant, landing net, etc
Let’s Go Fishing (we will go to a local water for this portion)
Explain & Demonstrate Roll Cast
- Practice roll cast on the water
When you really catch a fish!
- Fighting a fish
- Landing a fish safely & the release
Please pack a lunch. Mainstream will supply drinks.
About Dianne Tidy, CI
North East, MD
Dianne’s first fly-fishing lesson was in the Atlantic surf at Island Beach State Park in NJ more than 15 years ago. She remembers being the only woman fly-fishing on the beach. “I was lucky to have some of the greatest saltwater fly fishermen in the last 50 years share their love of fly fishing and their knowledge with a newbie lady fly fisher.” Their willingness to share is the reason that she continues to mentor and encourage others to discover and enjoy fly-fishing.
Dianne is a Fly Fishing International Certified Casting Instructor and the only certified woman instructor in the contiguous states of Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Delaware and New Jersey. She has served on the Board of Directors for Chesapeake Women Anglers and currently serves as the Membership VP for the Chesapeake Council, FFI.
Dianne was Lead Instructor for the 2014 FFI Women’s Fly Fishing University held at the 2014 FFI Fair in Livingston, MT. She has taught for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, Casting for Recovery, International Women Fly Fishers and various other fly fishing clubs, organizations, and local fly shops.
- Mainstream Outfitters